Love yourself to improve your relationship is the key to achieve a stable, healthy and lasting relationship.
Many of us, especially women, tend to put others’ needs before our own. We neglect ourselves and eventually resent those who have been on the receiving end of our love and attention. What we fail to realise is the importance of putting ourselves first.
No, it is not selfish. In fact, it’s impossible to meet the needs of others effectively without first being balanced in our own lives. Loving yourself will not only prove to be a positive experience, but it will improve your relationships with others as well. If we go through our days neglecting our basic needs, we will become very quickly drained of our energy, too exhausted to spend any time on ourselves.
When we realise that our own needs are not being met, we become resentful and ultimately withdraw the help and support we so freely offered to others before.
However, by focusing on putting ourselves first, we can regain that lost energy, which will give us endless vitality to direct toward others. Loving and taking better care of yourself is easy if you implement one or more of the simple helpful tips and ideas listed here. When we are happy with the level of attention we are giving ourselves, our energy overflows and we are anxious to help fulfil the needs of those around us.
Everyone wins when we learn to love ourselves.
Use the following tips to get you started:
- Live a healthy lifestyle – How can we expect to accomplish great things if we cannot meet life’s most basic needs? Eat healthy by replacing excess sugar and refined foods with whole foods and lots of water.
- Give your body the ability to effectively burn the fuel you take in by getting daily exercise, thereby increasing your metabolism.
- Make sure to get plenty of sleep as well, as our minds do not fully function if they haven’t been allowed to properly recharge themselves.
- Express yourself – One of the best ways to take care of ourselves mentally is by frequently expressing how we feel. This can be done in several ways. Mentally, we can express ourselves on paper. Keeping a personal journal in which you can vent when needed will help keep emotions in check.
- Creative expression is important too, such as allowing yourself to feel and experience the wide range of emotions in a rented movie, or by working on a hobby that’s close to your heart.
- Photography and other visual arts are good for this. Remember, expressing ourselves creatively is as important as doing so mentally.
- Spend some time alone – In order to appreciate ourselves more, we should get to know ourselves better. Some of you may think this will have the reverse effect, but think positively! You would be surprised what becoming introspective will reveal.
- Discover yourself and learn to love it. Go for a scenic drive. Take a long bath. Surround yourself with music or just quietly meditate. Not only will you appreciate your own company more, but the relaxation will do wonders for your state of mind.
Your relationships are sure to improve if others sense your renewed energy and love of life. Pamper yourself –
Finally, take the time to treat yourself to something rewarding. Get a massage, a manicure, or tickets to your favourite sporting event. Show yourself you care about your own happiness by creating more of it in your life.
By allowing yourself to enjoy the spotlight now and again, you’ll realise the goodness others feel when you are able to help them.
Ways to Fall in Love Again with your Partner
Our romantic relationships have the potential to bring us great happiness but can also be the source of great pain and suffering. At the start of a relationship we fall ‘head over heals’ in love and it seems that our dream has come true.
Unfortunately these joyous feelings can fade and then we struggle to feel love for our partner.
So how can we re-discover those wonderful feelings that we experienced at the start of the relationships?
Here are ten things you can do that will improve your relationship and will allow you to fall in love with your partner all over again!
1. Relationship difficulties may be painful but they represent the best chance you and your partner have to heal your insecurities and build a better relationship. Within each problem is an issue that both of you have, that is driving you apart – try to see problems as opportunities for improving the relationship. The trick is to find out what the emotional issue is at the heart of the problem.
2. Whenever you feel emotional pain in a relationship, resist the temptation to move away from your partner. This is the very time you need each other. Take courage and move towards your partner both physically and emotionally.
3. Communication about feelings and fears is what heals relationships. Always make this your objective. Try to find out what your partner is feeling. Expressing your own feelings with honesty and sensitivity will encourage your partner to do the same. Remember even bad behaviour is a form of communication!
4. Nobody can make you feeling anything that you are not already feeling subconsciously. It is hidden and unhealed emotional pain that is triggered by your partner’s behaviour. Be willing to gain emotional awareness, take responsibility and heal these insecurities. As Ghandi said – ‘be the change you want to see in the world” – the same applies in our relationships.
5. Appreciate your partner for all their strengths, gifts and beauty – tell them and show them how much you love them. This is what you did when you fell in love with them, and it will work throughout your relationship. There is no reason that the ‘Honeymoon’ stage of a relationship cannot last forever.
6. If you feel let down by your partner or feel that they are not giving you something important in the relationship, give them exactly the thing you are lacking. Almost magically they will then give you the same thing back!
7. Sex can be a beautiful celebration of love in a relationship – this is why we call it making love! Allow sex to move from a purely physical experience to one that is full of shared emotion – pour love into your partner as you have sex and make strong eye contact. If you have a spiritual belief, you can take sex to the highest Tantric level of physical, emotional and spiritual connection, where it feel like you become one with your partner.
8. If you have had a row, apologise for any of your own bad behaviour and recognise that your partner will also be feeling bad. Move towards them, forgive and re-connect as soon as you can. Start the meaningful communication about what lies at the heart of the argument.
9. If you are having really big problems in your relationship and you believe in a higher or spiritual power, then ask for help and guidance. In this way you will find the inspiration to work through the most tragic or painful situations. If you do not have a spiritual or religious belief, ask for help from your higher or intuitive mind.
10. Relationships fail because we allow a distance to appear between us and our partner. What we give in a relationship is what we receive. How much are you unconditionally giving to your partner? Give to your partner without any expectation of receiving and you will soon find that the joy and love returns to the relationship.
Thank you for visiting us today, and reading through our blogs; please leave your comment and support us with your donation here