OkCupid was the first dating app to offer expanded gender and orientation options, and we now offer users 22 genders and 20 orientation options. We’re also one of the only non-exclusively LGBTQ+ dating apps that does not force users to select being shown in a binary context. Last Pride Month, we further expanded our identity options for LGBTQ+ users, now giving queer daters over 60 identities to choose from. (And since we know people don’t fit in a single box we allow you to choose up to 5 different identities!) This Pride Month, we’re excited to share that we have added new in-app, matching questions dedicated to our LGBTQ+ daters around the world.
The LGBTQIA community is not only important to us, it’s important to you. Nearly all (97%) of our daters on OkCupid care about LGBTQ+ issues, and 7 in 10 daters say it is important that their match cares about the LGBTQ+ community. We also found that 97% of nearly 1.5 million people on OkCupid support marriage equality. We have always believed love is love.
Our new matching questions, added in honor of Pride Month, help you discover everything from how a match supports the transgender community to what pride means to them. These matching questions, along with all of our other questions about and for the LGBTQ+ community, have been answered 30 million times to date.
What we’re asking:
- Do you advocate for LGBTQ+ rights?
- Is it important that your date cares about transgender rights?
- Is it OK to silently support the transgender movement?
- Do you think LGBTQ+ rights are at risk given the current Supreme Court?
- What does Pride mean to you?
- How would you prefer to have children?
What you’re saying:
- 74% of OkCupid respondents say they advocate for LGBTQ+ rights, and Gen Z are 7% more likely than Millennials and 21% more likely than Gen X to do so
- About 7 in 10 Gen Zers (67%) and Millennials (64%) say it’s important that their date cares about transgender rights
- 98% of non-binary respondents said it’s important that their date cares about transgender rights
- 71% of female respondents said it’s important that their date cares about transgender rights
- 51% of male respondents said it’s important that their date cares about transgender rights
- People who said every voice and vote matters when supporting the transgender movement received 6% more conversations and 11% more Likes than those who feel it’s a personal choice to silently support the movement
- A majority (71%) of OkCupid respondents in the United States feel LGBTQ+ rights are at risk given the current Supreme Court, and Millennials are the most concerned generation
- 43% of LGBTQ+ respondents said Pride means equal rights for all; 38% said being authentically them; and 19% said celebrating everyone
- 57% of gay men would like children, with 31% wanting to adopt, 19% choosing surrogacy 7% considering fostering (while 43% of gay men said they don’t want children)
- 65% of lesbian women would like children, with 42% saying they or their partner would carry the baby, 21% wanting to adopt and 2% who would opt for surrogacy (while 36% do not want children)
We are also updating our gender and orientation pages on our app. After hearing from different LGBTQ+ users, we realized there was an opportunity to educate and inform people about the different identities we offer. Beginning soon, we will be adding definitions to each of our gender and orientation options to help people better understand what these terms mean, and better serve all our users.
“As we head into Pride month, OkCupid is ensuring users can more accurately and authentically be represented on the platform. We know from our work the difference this makes to LGBTQ+ people,” said Shoshana Goldberg, Ph.D. MPH, Director of the HRC’s Public Education & Research Program. “Kudos to them for their continued commitment to getting LGBTQ+ representation on the platform right.”
Please consider making a donation to HRC today to fuel the fight for equality.
Media contact: [email protected]
Download OkCupid to find a date now.